Two top South African defence officials have tendered their resignations, the military said Friday amid reports of mercenaries being hired to fly the president and mechanical trouble on VIP planes.
Defence Secretary Mpumi Mpofu and air force boss Carlo Gagiano have both given their letters of resignation to the minister of defence, ministry spokesman Siphiwe Dlamini said.
« It is somehow related to the problems that we’ve faced in the air force in regard to VIP flights, » he told AFP.
The defence ministry is charged with operating flights for the president and other top officials.
Beeld newspaper reported Friday that charter pilots who flew President Jacob Zuma to the UN General Assembly in New York in September had been convicted of involvement in the failed 2004 coup attempt against Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema.
Nguema, Africa’s longest-ruling leader, was the target of a botched bid to overthrow him and install an exiled opposition leader at the helm of the oil-rich nation. Seventy-nine foreigners were arrested in connection with the plot.